Monday, September 1, 2008

something worthwhile

Students preparing for my class

Room 204 where I hold my classes. Each student would have their own individual computer...and I have two!

So today was the first day of class in my second year of teaching in Tianjin University of Finance and Economics, Pearl River College.

And I guess I'm used to it.

I'm used to students with different levels of English, students who are too shy they can't even open their mouths, students whose faces are totally p-o-k-e-r, students who smile even without any reason at all, students who seem to flirt (this goes for the guys, good grief) and students who seemed to have this invisible question mark right above their heads.

But even with these, I see faces that are open to learn. Faces that show interest at what I shared. Faces that are friendly and respectful. Faces that could get there with perpetual encouragement and motivation.

Believe me, even with the rough edges that comes along as I teach, the fulfillment always outshines the negativity.

I don't know what these students will become one day. I don't have a clue where life will lead them, but I wished that they learned something from me and even if I'm gone and no longer teaching in this university, I have passed to them something that is worthwhile.