Monday, September 29, 2008

the Beijing experience, and some randoms (part 2)


I could not believe it took me ages to update this blog for the part 2 of the Beijing experience. I know I love writing, that's for sure. But there are things that I do need to do first. I had this talk with a Chinese friend and I told him how much I love writing, and that I would go back to it even if I know I'm not that best in it or even if I know I don't have the chance anymore. And he said that, yeah, we all have our own passion...but we also need to live.

Bulls-eye!

So, I'll try my very best to recall the exciting things in Beijing. For one, I love the cost of their transportation there. It is crowded, and indeed it's part of the package. But for the mrt, its 2RMB wherever you go, and 1RMB for the buses. Very reasonable.

One unforgettable experience was in climbing the Great Wall. Years ago, I would look at the painting of the Great Wall and somehow in my heart I have a secret desire to one day step into it not only with the fleeting charm of my imagination but on being all there and basking on its grandeur.

Me and 3 other friends joined a tour group to go to the Wall. And since we were like chance passengers cos of our last minute booking, we joined the Chinese group instead of those with the foreigners. And you will know later why I deem it important to mention that here.

And so, we were in the gates of Badaling and decided to take the right side instead of the left. The steps are steep, and it was a little frightening to look down. A part of me said I should give up, but another part said..."hey, you've waited for this...you're here...go for it!"

And guess which voice won?

I don't wanna sound schizophrenic, dear one. You can relate to the moments when you would ask yourself questions and find yourself answering your own question. Thoughts after thoughts, one opposing the other. And your heart is listening. Then it would make a choice, hopefully one that is favorable and would produce good result.

After several minutes of climbing the steep steps, we came to the easier stairways which allowed us to breath and take pictures. From the top you'll see the wonderful mountains. And since it's September, the trees are blooming with green leaves in the midst of the early Autumn season.

We arrived at a watchtower, took photos, chit-chatted, laughed...then went on. Several watchtowers later, I was surprised to find a vendor with her makeshift shop selling Great Wall souvenir items - shirts, pens, sculpted items, notebooks and some other artworks.

Just before another watchtower, we reckoned that it's time to go back. Our guide told us to be back by 12 for lunch. Climbing the wall was taxing, so the thought of food made us aggreable.

I reconnoitered the place one more time and thought of the many Chinese who died building the wall. It's an estimate of 2-3 million men for the centuries-long project. Out of these millions, did one of them realize that the work of their hands would one day become the world's great wonder? Or was there one who figured out that what they're working for could soon be the earth's sole visible item seen in a human eye from the moon?

I guess no one expected that. The goal was to protect outside invasions and attacks.

And a thought came to me, it's about the legacy that outlives us. We see our lives in a short-sighted state. We see only what's here now. But what we are doing in the present would live for the future. For now we would think that we are doing a small part for humanity, sometimes we even feel so useless; when in the grand scheme, the works of our hands may live for the generations to come.

My sentimental self nudged at me, amidst the laughter of my friends, and the many poses we rendered with the Great Wall as the background.

It could have been a completely amazing experience...until comes lunch. Our tour includes lunch so, after climbing the wall one is starving and not to mention, quite irritable (well, I do get irritable when I'm hungry). Can you believe we have to go to this Jade Shop first before lunch when it's already 1:30? I was about to explode when the tour guide gave us the favor to eat and directed us to the 3rd floor of the building where the Jade Shop is.

What followed was the worst, yes, the worst, lunch in my whole stay in China.

Dry rice, welting, so unfresh cucumbers and some other veggies (no meat or fish on it), one plate of fish that had a funny aftertaste, there was another welting cabbage, and others that I could not remember cos I never tasted them in the first place. One look at them and you'll know that they are severely beaten and funnily cooked, for lack of a better term.

Seated on our lunch table were 9 people, including me and my three friends. All were silent while eating, a bit sad, or disappointed, or tired perhaps.

My inner volcano was about to erupt. Then I realize that I have no choice. I could complain to the tour guide and she would only give me a sheepish smile because she could not understand English. I could complain to the staff at this noisy, crowded and dirty restaurant, and they will just glare at me like I'm doomed. By the way, my friend was still eating when the staff came and pick up the plates from our table and toss it to their cleaning carts. So rude.

I did mention that we joined the Chinese tour group, right? The foreign tour group had a different restaurant. Much better than what we had, and I would conclude that they have had better food as well.

Ah, China!
(to be continued)