Saturday, January 3, 2009

a bit of Shanghai





"People there are cold," said a Chinese friend when I told her about my plan to visit Shanghai. My friend had been to Shanghai two times and could surely tell more about this metropolis than I do.

Some said that Shanghai is trying to be like Hongkong, while others said to me that Shanghainese could be rude, all wrapped with what they call the "Shanghai pride."

I don't know much, really. I enjoyed my travel to Shanghai. And yes, I did meet "rude" and "cold" people...but I also met some really fantastic individuals who gave a smile to my face, and even until now, when I think of them, I am so encourage to pray blessings for them. Here are some interesting experiences and observations I had of Shanghai and it's people.

1. Taxi drivers are less friendly compared to those in other cities of China. I am not sure if it's really in there culture, or maybe because they think that time is so precious to waste it to a foreigner like me whose Mandarin is terrible but some taxi drivers in Shanghai don't have the patience, and are not so friendly in dealing with someone like me.

2. Many women in Shanghai smoke. I have seen more than twenty in my less than 24 hours stay there.

3. Traffic could be so bad in narrow streets like those going to the Bund, Sichuan Lu and East Nanjing Lu.
4. Life is fast.

5. There are English menu in restaurants. Good grief!

6. If you are lucky, you would find very accomodating people in Shanghai. Example, the guy who drove me going to Captain's Hostel. When I found out that Captain's Hostel didn't have available room anymore, he helped me find another hotel (and a cheaper one at that!). I asked him if he can drive me to the airport later that night, he said no cos he is going home but recommended a friend who is available to drive me. My stay in Shanghai was awesome because of that man...and also because of two restaurant staffs who were so friendly in serving me food. I felt that these people are not just doing their work, but also putting their heart into it.
7. Fuzhou Lu is like foreigners' haven. I saw so many there.

8. This could be a weird observation...I heard so many middle schoolers with loud laughters. I should know why they laugh so loudly.

9. Though there are stylish touring boats in the Huangpu River, and the Bund is such a gorgeous waterfront, I still couldn't take my eyes off the Huangpu waters --- read: murky. No wonder it is called the "undulating muddy dragon from the mouth of the Yangtze river." It is indeed muddy.
10. I saw several really stylish men.

11. The nice people covered the rude and cold.
Just some observations.