Friday, December 12, 2008

End of the road

"We have reached the end of the road." I told my last class this afternoon.

Today was my last day for this term. Beginning tomorrow I'm a free lady. Well, I'm still tied up to calculating grades but I don't have to wake up so early and rush with my coffee and run and pant to catch the school bus. I can relax beginning tomorrow.


There's this certain laziness that surrounds winter. It should be because of the cold. My alarm is always set at 5:15, and so I wake up at that time. Then I go back to sleep and wake up at about 30 minutes after, this time I'm already hastening myself to the bathroom, drag myself to the early morning bath, think speedily of what to wear, munch a bread or something while gulping down my coffee. Those, and a lot of other miscellaneous stuff I have to do.

Imagine me sighing a deep breath once I'm settled in the school bus. If those things did not pump up my winter morning, I don't know what else can.

Yet I'm at the end of the road for this term.

No more hustle-bustle morning. I can enjoy my coffee while reading the news in the internet, or do my devotion devoid of a hanging question mark in my head asking what time it is already.

End of the road, when you stop a bit and become cognizant of the fact that you don't have any iota of an idea what's next for you. When you have fear in your heart but at the same breath believe that faith will see you through. When you think about the times you will miss, or the people; but also fantasize about the possibilities of the future.

End of the road. You let go of those that you did not need in the journey and bring with you that which benefits. You take what you learned and throw away that which hurts.

When I think about this "End of the road" moment that I'm experiencing, I think about how, as a kid, I would go back to where I'm from once I realize I'm at the end of the road. But in life it always doesn't work that way. The end of the road doesn't mean turning back but moving on. It doesn't mean you retreat but in fact it means you take heart because there is more to come.

Because the truth is, the end of the road has an opening, a door, but it's only for those who has the eyes to see it, or the heart to know the difference.