Wednesday, November 12, 2008

a must-read! --- The Shack



The book's back cover reads:

"Mackenzie Allen Philip's youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted
during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered
is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years
later, in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspcious note,
apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend.

Against His better judgement he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon
and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change
Mack's world forever."


I cannot remember having cried so hard over a novel as I did with this one. Well, you may not be like me whose tears are so easy, or whose heart can be so sensitive to the "touching" things around her, but I assure you, you will shed a tear or two (or morrreee!) with this novel. You can bank on it.

About this time last week, I was on my way to my room when the receptionist called me and handed a package. I was speechless. I looked at her with an "are-you-sure-this-is-for-me?" look (that's the best I can do until now, hehehe). So then I read the sender, and indeed the package was for me. It was from a friend in California, and inside the package was this book with a dedication from the author itself. I was soooo happy!


"Catherine, joy will find its way - Paul (William Young)"

An article about this novel, The Shack , had been published in New York Times, and indeed this book is a # 1 New York Times bestseller with over one million copies in print (and counting) already.

And you know what? I finished the book in just 3 nights, well, it could have been just one day if I weren't working. Obviously, this book is really good, otherwise I wouldn't have devoured it in just 3 nights. Nights when I could have snored early. Every page is worth it, the tears I shed were tears of freedom, understanding (about God) and prayer.

I'm not gonna give away the plot of The Shack here but let me just encourage you a little bit more about this book, and share to you what happened to me after flipping pages from beginning to end...

You will never look at God the same way again when you read this book. This book has the capacity to free the captives, and insult the religious. This book will dig truths about life and God, deeper and deeper it goes until you realize that the questions of the main character Mackenzie Allen Philips (about God, life, problems, tragedy, et. al.) were also your questions, and you will cry because his healing is your healing; and his victory is your victory.

And to quote one part of the book:

"Seriously, my life was not meant to be an example to copy. Being my
follower is not trying to 'be like Jesus,' it means for your independence to be
killed. I came to give you life, real life, my life. We will come
and live our life inside of you, so that you begin to see with our eyes, and
hear with our ears, and touch with our hands, and think like we do. But,
we will never force that union on you. If you want to do your thing, have
at it. Time is on our side."
(-Jesus, The Shack)


So now it is my prayer, that I may be His hand, His eyes, His ears...that I may always be - HIS.