Saturday, August 13, 2016

Of love and a new adventure

(Posted this in my Facebook on 8 October 2015, a week after our civil wedding. Here's a glimpse of out lovestory, may it teach you a thing or two about love and the right timing.)
Around this time last week, me and Bjørn had our civil wedding. It was in a small island in the south of Denmark called Ærø and contrary to the current weather in Denmark this week, the whole of last week was sunny and brilliant. We had a small and intimate dinner with Bjørn's family and had a great time talking, laughing, and even some dancing. Church wedding is happening come January, the same week that Bjørn is celebrating his birthday.
There is a quote that says, “every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite.” Ours is a whirlwind love story but it’s also the kind that gives meaning. Before I met Bjørn, I’d been asked so many times why I was single that it got pretty tiring to explain to people why. When you enjoy your single life, there's no point to be in a relationship. Looking back, it was an adventure-filled single life – I travelled to different cities and places in Asia. I met different kinds of people and talked to them about anything under the sun. I gained confidence in many aspects of myself. I took my Masters Degree and worked two jobs as a university instructor and writer/columnist/editor in China. I have interviewed people from different walks of life and enjoyed every single one of them. I read books, lots of them and even thought of writing my own book (maybe one day). I backpacked in the south of China and had my skin bruised by biking, walking barefoot, and climbing mountains. I also applied for intense programs at the gym and found myself losing weight as I kicked and punched in Body Combat sessions and sashayed and wiggled at Zumba classes. Indeed, I enjoyed and was happy with life being single. I didn’t spend it waiting for my Prince Charming to find me or have a guy to come and complete me. I was already complete on my own.
It was only about 3 years ago that I told myself that I’m ready to be in a relationship, to be in another adventure, but this time with someone on my side. The search wasn't easy. There were a lot of questions and disappointments and at some point, I even asked myself if there was something wrong with me. It seemed like a long, painstaking wait.
When I met Bjørn this year, I didn’t know right away that he is THE ONE but it didn’t take that long to figure out. His mind is full of ideas and I find it stimulating to talk to him. Our first date included dinner plus talk and walk then walk and talk until 1 in the morning. We had fruitful discussions while walking in an empty shopping area in Binjiang Dao in Tianjin, China and talked without reservations about what we think about things in life and the universe. We spoke to each other like souls finally meeting their match or minds finding their own kind.
The next day, he asked me to come to Denmark. I laughed.
The reason why I say that our love story is the kind that gives meaning is that when we found each other I finally realized why I had to go through a long time being single. I finally understood why I had to wait. You find answers with the right person. With the right person, love is easy, it flows naturally and your heart feels secure. The right person pursues and persists, encourages and complements. In short, the right person brings out the best of you.
When Bjørn asked me to marry him, I laughed. Laughter is indeed the language of a happy heart. I laughed because I’m more than willing - there were no more doubts in me, thanks to living my single life to the fullest, I can move to the next chapter of my life wholeheartedly.
Now, we've crossed the line. We're married. And yes, we are so ready for this kind of adventure.

x

Cathy