Monday, August 10, 2009

a teenager's basketball (love) story





Aug. 6-16 is the FIBA (Federation Internationale Basketball Associacion) Asian Championship here in Tianjin, China. The Philippine Team lead by Coach Yeng Guaio is, at this time, doing pretty well with 3 wins and 1 loss. Hope things will continue to stay positive.

I watched the Philippine team battle it out against Japan last Friday. They won, thank God. Me and my friend, Irene, had so much of shrieks and shills I actually felt my throat getting scratchy after the game. I remember how I used to be so gaga over PBA when I was in high school.

All the while while I was hollering my support to the Philippine Team, I remember that nerdy high schooler whose only vise outside her studies was that she feel in love with a gentleman named Vergel Meneses. But their love cannot be because he already loved someone else, and besides, it was only a one-sided love affair. He didn't even know she existed. Their, er, her love started when she saw him slug a move in the basketball court that seemed like he was suspended mid-air and the ball he has on his had landed on the ring with suave, she gasped and the sparks flew from around her, her eyes light up red lights that formed two hearts. Then a melody filled the air, and there was no turning back, her heart is attached.

Well, that was a long time ago. Vegel Meneses retired from playing basketball years after that while she, the loveburst teenager, graduated from HS, then college, found a job in a newspaper company, then resigned and landed a job in Tianjin, China. She's now enjoying her single life with a bit of craziness, or rather lots of it...then sometimes, just sometimes, she looks back at the past and laughs at how silly she was. Of how her being a fan goes beyond watching the game, or of how easy it is for someone so young to like someone and call it "love," without any hesitation.

But then again, she learned from it...or else I'd have nothing else to write in this entry.

Did I mention that the Philippine team won that night against Japan? Sorry, reminiscing got the better of me.

Jiayou, Philippine team! Go! Go! Go, noypis!

(Note: pics above were taken at the game Phil. vs. Japan, Aug. 7, 2009 at the Tianjin Olympic Stadium. Third pic was with my friend Irene together with the assistant coaches and staff of the team, and the last was with the impressive player of the night - Asi Taulava).

x

Cathy